Some of you might be reading this article and thinking to yourself, who ARE the Duggars? They are a family of twenty-one, two parents, and nineteen children, who live in Tontitown, Arkansas. They are very devout Baptists who don’t believe in the use of contraception which is no wonder why the family is so big. They became famous when they were featured on the TLC reality TV series 19 Kids and Counting (formerly known as 17 Kids and Counting, and 18 Kids and Counting), although they are 20 no as they adopted a nephew called Tyler. This family has over three dozen members spanned across three different generations.
It follows the lives of the parent’s Bob Duggar and Michelle Duggar who have nineteen children, nine girls, and ten boys. The show mainly talks about purity, modesty, and faith in God. The show revolved around Bob and Michelle’s parenting and how they keep their children in check even with their large number. All the children are homeschooled and their access to screen time (phones and television) is limited.
The show ran for seven years with its debut being on the 29th of September, 2008, and it got canceled in 2015 after a molestation scandal surfaced. The Duggar’s eldest son, Josh, apologized publicly for acting inexcusably with reports going around that he molested five girls some of which included his sisters, by fondling them. Although these events occurred in 2002 and 2003 when Josh was still a teenager (14 – 15 years old), the show still got canceled. A spin-off show was aired in December 2015 called Counting On.
Early Life Of The Duggar Famuly Members
Jim and Michelle met in the early 1980s when Michelle experienced a religious conversion, which is a type of conversion from one religious denomination to another. They got married on July 21st, 1984 right after Michelle, who was seventeen at the time, graduated from high school. Jim was nineteen during their marriage. They both did not further their education by going to college and with both hands on deck, they bought their new car and became licensed real estate agents later in life.
They used contraceptive pills during the early years of marriage. Joshua Dugger, the eldest child was born in 1988 and Michelle Duggar miscarried her next child whom they had names Caleb without knowing the baby’s sex. The Duggar’s consulted their doctor and he told them about how contraceptives can cause miscarriages after failing to prevent conception, from that point on, the husband and wife duo stopped the use of contraception and allowed God to do his will. Michelle gave birth to a set of twins yet and she gave birth 17 more times in the time of over 21½ years, making it one birth every fifteen months.
The couple makes their children follow strict rules like filtering their internet services, making sure they take part in chaperoned dating (whereby a suitor has to ask the woman’s father for permission before dating), and not wearing immodest clothing amongst others. Jim Duggar served as a member of the Arkansas House of Representatives for three years (1999 to 2002) but lost the United States Senate seat to Tim Hutchinson. He later moved on to become a real estate investor and agent alongside his wife. They released their first book on the 2nd of December 2008 titled The Duggars: 20 and Counting! Their second book was released on June 7th, 2011 titled A Love That Multiples. The Duggars four eldest girls – Jessa, Jinger, Jill, and Jana – released their book titled Growing Up Duggar: It’s All About Relationships on March 4, 2014.
The Duggar Family Tree
Jim and Michelle has 19 children altogether and permanent custody of Michele’s grandnephew, Tyler.
- Joshua “Josh” James – Born on the 3rd of March 1988 (age 32). He is married to Anna Keller and they both have six children together.
- Jana Marie – Born on the 12th of January, 1990 (age 30).
- John-David “John” – Born on the 12th of January, 1990 (age 30). He is married to Abbie Burnett and they have a child together.
- Jill Michelle – Born on the 17th of May 1991 (age 29). She is married to Derrick Dillard and they have two children together.
- Jessa Lauren – Born on November 4th, 1992 (age 28). She is married to Ben Seewald and they have three children together.
- Jinger Nicole – Born on the 21st of December 1995 (age 25). She is married to Jeremy Vuolo with two children.
- Joseph Garrett – Born on the 20th of January 1995 (age 25). He is married to Kendra Caldwell with three children.
- Josiah Matthew – Born on the 28th of August 1996 (age 24). He is married to Laura Swanson with a child.
- Joy-Anna – Born on the 28th of October 1997 (age 23). She is married to Austin Forsyth and they have three children.
- Jedidiah Robert – Born on the 30th of December 1998 (age 22).
- Jeremiah Robert – Born on the 30th of December 1998 (age 22).
- Jason Michael – Born on the 21st of April 2000 (age 20).
- James Andrew – Born on the 7th. Of July 2001 (age 19).
- Justin Samuel – Born on the 15th of November 2002 (age 18). He is engaged to Claire Spivey.
- Jackson Levi – Born on the 23rd of May 2004 (age 16).
- Johannah Faith – Born on the 11th of October 2005 (age 15).
- Jennifer Danielle – Born on the 2nd of August 2007 (age 13).
- Jordyn-Grace Makiya – Born on the 18th of December 2008 (age 12).
- Josie Brooklyn – Born on the 10th of December (age 11).
Jim and Michelle have 20 grandchildren and counting. Although the family is a very big one, it is very evident that they are close-knit.
Duggar Family Net Worth
Most of the Duggar’s money is gotten from rental proceeds, their reality series, and the commercial properties owned. The family is worth $3.5 million.